DAC Collection Artist Information
Turkish photography and painting studio
Brief biography, in most instances from the Union List of Artist Names® Online:
The studio Abdullah Frères was established in 1858 when the three Abdullah brothers, Kevork, Vichen and Hovsep, purchased a studio from Rabach, a German chemist, located in Istanbul. According to Cizgen, the brothers sold this studio in 1867 and moved to a new location in Péra, in another section of Istanbul. This studio was also called "Abdullah Frères." In 1863, Abdullah Frères became the official court photographers of the Sultan Abdulaziz. In 1886, Kevork Abdullah opened a branch studio in Cairo, Egypt which operated until 1895. Abdullah Frères sold their studio in 1899 to the firm of Sébah & Joaillier. The firm specialized in photographing personalities visiting the Ottoman Empire, landscape, villages, and Constantinople and its monuments.
Artist ID number in the Union List of Artist Names®: ULAN 500033285.
The ULAN link above leads to a cataloging authority record at the Getty Research Institute.
Objects related to Abdullah Frères:
|Abdullah Frères||Fontaine dans la Cour de Suléimanié, ca. 1870-1890||Albumen print|
|Abdullah Frères||Interieur de Suléimanié, ca. 1870-1890||Albumen print|
|Abdullah Frères||Vue prise de la Citadelle, ca. 1870-1890||Albumen print|
|Abdullah Frères||Quartier de Bab el Vazir No. 92, ca. 1858-1899||Albumen print on mount|
ULAN biographical content is displayed with permission of the Getty Research Institute. Some ULAN content in some DAC artist records has been lightly edited. Content from the Getty Research Institute is © 2019 The J. Paul Getty Trust. All rights reserved.