Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University

DAC Collection Object Information

record 1 of 1

Ruins of the Temple of Jupiter Stator [Jupiter the Supporter] 1. Temple of Antoninus and Faustina 2. Temple of Peace (Vestigi del Tempio di Giove Statore. 1. Tempoi d'Antonino e Faustina 2. Tempio della Pace),

From Some Views of Triumphal Arches and Other Monuments Erected by the Romans… (Alcune Vedute di Archi Trionfali…)

Etching on laid paper

Dimensions (Plate): 135 x 270 mm (5.3 x 10.6 in.)

Signed in plate, lower left: “Piranesi fecit.”; inscribed in plate, upper right: numeral “10”

Edition: First Paris edition, 1800–1807; loose sheet, not bound in volume

Accession number: 1973.D1.38.32

Gift of George W. Davison (B.A. Wesleyan 1892), before 1953

Bibliography: Focillon 51; Hind (1922), p. 75; Wilton-Ely 113 and p. 155 with remark: “The temple listed as that of Jupiter Stator is the Temple of Castor and Pollux; the structure called by Piranesi the Temple of Peace is the Basilica of Maxentius and Constantine.”

Work Type: print

Keywords: Click a term to find other records with the same keyword.


This object is in the following image group(s):

http://dac-collection.wesleyan.edu/obj10899 is a persistent link to this page with no user-session information.

Featured Image Groups

Rembrandt
Image from Rembrandt holdings
All Rembrandt Holdings

Dürer
Image from Durer holdings
All Dürer with Images

Delacroix
Image from Faust
Faust

Goya
Image from Los Caprichos
Los Caprichos

Goltzius
Image from Metamorphoses
Metamorphoses