Woman Preparing an Omelette
Photo Credit: photo: R. Lee
Bookmark (persistent url): https://dac-collection.wesleyan.edu/objects-1/info/11710
Woman Preparing an Omelette1768
Cornelis Ploos van Amstel, Dutch, (1726–1798)
After Gabriel Metsu, Dutch, (1629–1667)
- domestic genre
- egg - Roundish reproductive bodies produced by the female of certain animals such as birds and most reptiles, consisting of an ovum and its envelope of albumen, jelly, membranes, egg case, or shell. W [March 1992 scope note added. February 1992 descriptor moved.]
- food - Use for any material that can be digested or absorbed by the body of a human or other animal and used as a source of energy or some essential nutrient, to build and replace tissue, or to relieve hunger. [April 1995 descriptor changed, was "foodstuff"; lead-in terms added.]
- genre - Use for pictorial representations, which may be in various media, that represent scenes or events from everyday life; usually used with another term such as "paintings" or "prints." [April 1991 descriptor moved.]
- labor - Usage in the sense of physical work
- sex role - Pattern of attitudes and behavior that in any society is deemed appropriate to one sex rather than another. For the concept of physiological traits that distinguish the males and females of a species, use "sex." For the sum of an individual's sexual emotions, ideas, and behavior, use "sexuality." ERIC9 [February 1993 descriptor moved. December 1992 related term added. November 1991 related terms added. January 1991 scope note added. May 1990 lead-in term added.]
To download an image, control-click or right-click on a link below, then select "Download," "Save Link," or a similar choice in your web browser.
Please use this image credit line:
Open Access Image from the Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University (photo: R. Lee) .