Street Arabs—Night Boys in Sleeping Quarters (Newsboys)
No image available.
Bookmark (persistent url): https://dac-collection.wesleyan.edu/objects-1/info/12095
Street Arabs—Night Boys in Sleeping Quarters (Newsboys)ca. 1880-1890 (printed 1947)
197 x 197 mm (7.8 x 7.8 in.)
Jacob August Riis, American, (1849–1914)
Object Type: photograph
Medium and Support: Gelatin silver print
Edition: Printed in 1947 from the original glass negative by Alexander Alland for the Riis exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art, New York, 1947
Provenance / Collectors' Marks: Purchased by the donor from Prakapas Gallery, New York
Bibliography: Reproduced in Paz Errázuriz (New York: Aperture, 2016), p. 24, with caption including the apparently author-assigned title of "Homeless Children."
Credit Line: Gift of Russell G. D’Oench, Jr., 1991
Accession Number: 1991.30.47
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
children (people by age group)*, labor*, New York City*, night, Northeastern United States*, sleep*, slums
- children (people by age group) - People in the earliest developmental stage of life. [August 1996 related term added. February 1995 descriptor changed, was "children". September 1993 related term added. November 1992 alternate term added. February 1991 scope note added.]
- labor - Usage in the sense of physical work
- New York City - TGN 7007567 (“New York” preferred, “New York City” display; retained “City” for clarity)
- Northeastern United States - TGN 4011496 (general region): The term typically refers to New England and the northern Atlantic seaboard, including Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey.
- sleep - LC sh 85123396
Location Latitude: American, Longitude: D'Oench
- image Dimensions: 197 x 197 mm (7.8 x 7.8 in.)
DAC Downloadable Open Access Image
No open access image available