The Memnonium, Thebes
No image available.
Bookmark (persistent url): https://dac-collection.wesleyan.edu/objects-1/info/16030
The Memnonium, Thebespublished 1862
158 x 224 mm (6.2 x 8.8 in.)
Francis Frith, British (English), (1822–1898)
Object Type: photograph
Medium and Support: Albumen print on photographic paper mounted on lightweight board with gilded edges in bound volume
Series: from Egypt, Sinai, and Palestine
Edition: As published in the album "Egypt, Sinai, and Palestine: Supplementary Volume” (London: William Mackenzie), 1862
Marks: Printed on mount: “THE MEMNONIUM / Thebes.”; printed on mount, lower right below image: “Frith, Photo.”; inscribed in pencil, lower left corner of mount: “40”; inscribed on negative in image, lower left corner: “Frith.”
Provenance / Collectors' Marks: Collector’s stamp of Weston J. Naef in red on verso of album’s frontispiece
Bibliography: Douglas R. Nickel, Francis Frith in Egypt and Palestine: A Victorian Photographer Abroad (Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2004).
Credit Line: Gift of Weston and Mary Naef in honor of Ella Dawes Naef, class of 2002, 2010
Accession Number: 2010.15.12
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Africa - TGN 7001242
- architecture - Art or science of designing and building structures, especially habitable structures, in accordance with principles determined by aesthetic and practical or material considerations. Refers also to the structures created. [November 1994 related term added. October 1990 alternate term added.]
- Egypt - TGN 7016833
- Thebes - TGN 7001297 for the deserted settlement (not the inhabited place). Was an ancient city of Upper Egypt, site of the royal residence and center of worship of Amon. It reached its apex in the New Kingdom (ca. 1580-1080 BCE), when it was a storehouse for the wealth of defeated nations. Thebes spanned the Nile River about 400 miles south of modern Cairo. The east bank is the site of modern Luxor and El Karnak, and was formerly the city of the living, with great temples and residences. On the west bank was the city of the dead, containing the valleys of the royal tombs, royal mortuary temples, and the houses of priests and workers devoted to the dead. The Egyptians called the city Wase, and later Nowe. The ancient Greeks called it Thebes, probably because it reminded them of their own Thebes, with its large gates. It was destroyed by the Romans in 29 BCE. Today the area is an archaeological site. Designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1979.
- travel photography
- image Dimensions: 158 x 224 mm (6.2 x 8.8 in.)
DAC Downloadable Open Access Image
No open access image available