Boston: 109–125 Broad Street
Photo Credit: copy photo: J. Giammatteo
Bookmark (persistent url): https://dac-collection.wesleyan.edu/objects-1/info/17
Boston: 109–125 Broad Street1934
190 x 236 mm (7.5 x 9.3 in.)
Berenice Abbott, American, (1898–1991)
Object Type: photograph
Medium and Support: Gelatin silver print
Series: from American Cities before the Civil War: The Urban Vernacular of the Thirties, Forties, and Fifties
Edition: From “American Cities before the Civil War: The Urban Vernacular of the Thirties, Forties, and Fifties” by Henry-Russell Hitchcock, Jr., a 1934 Wesleyan University Architectural Exhibition. The exhibition included the DAC’s group of 50 vintage architectural photographs taken in Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Charleston, and other cities and towns in the Northeast.
Marks: Signed in red pencil beneath photograph, lower right: “Berenice Abbott”; stamped on verso of mount board, lower right: “Photo / Berenice Abbott / 56 West 53rd Street / New York City”
Credit Line: Commissioned by Wesleyan University with the assistance of the Carnegie Corporation, 1934
Accession Number: 19126.96.36.199
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- architecture - Art or science of designing and building structures, especially habitable structures, in accordance with principles determined by aesthetic and practical or material considerations. Refers also to the structures created. [November 1994 related term added. October 1990 alternate term added.]
- Boston - TGN 7013445
- Massachusetts - TGN 7007517
- New England - TGN 7014203 (general region): Refers to several states settled by English colonists, including Connecticut, Maine, Massaschusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont. The coastline has many harbors. It is on a broad continental shelf, with forested hills inland. It was inhabited by the 9th mill. BCE; the Algonquians were here when the Europeans settled in early 17th century.
- Northeastern United States - TGN 4011496 (general region): The term typically refers to New England and the northern Atlantic seaboard, including Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey.
- image Dimensions: 190 x 236 mm (7.5 x 9.3 in.)
DAC Downloadable Open Access Image
No open access image available