The House with the Six-Columned Peristyle (La Maison au Péristyle de Six Colonnes)
Photo Credit: photo: M. Johnston
Bookmark (persistent url): https://dac-collection.wesleyan.edu/objects-1/info/3454
The House with the Six-Columned Peristyle (La Maison au Péristyle de Six Colonnes)18th century
Canaletto, aka Antonio Canale, Giovanni Antonio Canale, Italian, (1697–1768)
- architecture - Art or science of designing and building structures, especially habitable structures, in accordance with principles determined by aesthetic and practical or material considerations. Refers also to the structures created. [November 1994 related term added. October 1990 alternate term added.]
- cityscapes - Use for creative works that depict settlements that may be considered cities. For creative works depicting settlements that may be considered towns, use "townscapes (representations)." For images that are more documentary than creative, prefer
- columns (architectural elements) - Use for cylindrical, upright masonry members, usually either giving support or appearing to give support and usually comprised of three sections: a base, capital, and shaft; common also on furniture, especially as decorative elements. Use also for all uprights in steel frame or concrete frame structures. For square or rectangular members, either in masonry construction or classically treated, and for massive uprights in Medieval architecture, use "piers (supporting elements)"; for wooden square uprights, use "posts." [January 1995 related term added. March 1993 descriptor changed, was 'columns'; alternate term changed, was 'column'; descriptor moved. July 1991 scope note changed.]
- houses - Individual dwellings designed to be occupied by a single tenant or family. [July 1995 descriptor moved. March 1995 scope note added. November 1992 related term added.]
- Italy - TGN 1000080
- Venice - TGN 7018159 (standard English name used here for this well-known city)
Please see the DAC Open Access Images Policy and ReadMe PDF. This policy is similar to the concise No Known Copyright statement at RightsStatements.org.
To download an image, control-click or right-click on a link below, then select "Download," "Save Link," or a similar choice in your web browser.
DAC Open Access Image: JPEG, < 2 MB (Help)
DAC Open Access Image: TIFF, ~20-40 MB (Help)
Please use this image credit line:
Open Access Image from the Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University (photo: M. Johnston) .
Canaletto, aka Antonio Canale, Giovanni Antonio Canale, Italian, (1697–1768) . The House with the Six-Columned Peristyle (La Maison au Péristyle de Six Colonnes), 18th century. Etching. Second state. : mm (in.). DAC accession number 1942.D1.60. Gift of George W. Davison (BA Wesleyan 1892), 1942. Open Access Image from the Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University (photo: M. Johnston) .
Your search criteria: Objects is "The House with the Six-Columned Peristyle (La Maison au Péristyle de Six Colonnes)".View current selection of records as: