Wooded Landscape with Herdsman Driving Cattle over a Bridge, with Rustic Lovers and Ruined Castle
Photo Credit: photo: T. Rodriguez
Bookmark (persistent url): https://dac-collection.wesleyan.edu/objects-1/info/5865
Wooded Landscape with Herdsman Driving Cattle over a Bridge, with Rustic Lovers and Ruined Castle1779-1780
300 x 394 mm (11.8 x 15.5 in.)
Thomas Gainsborough, British (English), (1727–1788)
- animals - This section can use more hierarchical (quasi-Linnaean) refinement in future; extant terms were assembled into a fairly flat and slightly redundant structure to expedite conversion.
- architecture - Art or science of designing and building structures, especially habitable structures, in accordance with principles determined by aesthetic and practical or material considerations. Refers also to the structures created. [November 1994 related term added. October 1990 alternate term added.]
- bridges (built works) - Structures spanning and providing passage over waterways, topographic depressions, transportation routes, or similar circulation barriers. [September 1994 scope note added; related term added. March 1993 descriptor changed, was 'bridges'; alternate term changed, was 'bridge'.]
- castles - Use for buildings or groups of buildings intended primarily to serve as a fortified residence of a prince or nobleman. AVERY
- genre - Use for pictorial representations, which may be in various media, that represent scenes or events from everyday life; usually used with another term such as "paintings" or "prints." [April 1991 descriptor moved.]
- landscapes (representations) - Use for creative works that depict outdoor scenes where the picture is dominated by the configuration, visual and aesthetic, of the land, bodies of water, and natural elements. When the ocean or other large body of water dominates the picture, use "seascapes." For images that are more documentary than creative, prefer "views" or "topographical views." For actual areas of land having certain notable characteristics, use "landscapes (environments)." [January 1993 scope note added; related term added. April 1991 descriptor moved; lead-in term added; descriptor changed, was "landscapes"; alternate term changed, was 'landscape'.]
- lovers - People in love. [December 1992 alternate term added. December 1990 descriptor added.]
- ruins - Use generally for remains of buildings or groups of buildings that have been destroyed or are in a state of great disrepair or decay.
- plate Dimensions: 300 x 394 mm (11.8 x 15.5 in.)
To download an image, control-click or right-click on a link below, then select "Download," "Save Link," or a similar choice in your web browser.
Please use this image credit line:
Open Access Image from the Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University (photo: T. Rodriguez) .