Photo Credit: photo: T. Rodriguez
Bookmark (persistent url): https://dac-collection.wesleyan.edu/objects-1/info/6118
Weird Sisters: Ministers of Darkness, Minions of the Moon1791
247 x 351 mm (9.7 x 13.8 in.)
James Gillray, British (English), (1757–1815)
- caricatures - Use for representations, often portraits, that exaggerate certain features or characteristics to humorous or ludicrous effect. [April 1991 descriptor moved.]
- literature (writings)
- Macbeth (play) - The play; see also the literary figure term for the character.
- magic - Study and practice of ritual activities intended to control or influence human or natural events through the invocation of external and impersonal mystical forces beyond the ordinary human sphere; typical ritual activities include the manipulation of special objects and the recitation of spells. [October 1994 scope note added; related term added.]
- occult sciences - Range of studies, theories, and practices involving a belief in and knowledge or use of supernatural forces or beings, the goal of practice being the manipulation or subversion of natural laws to achieve some desired purpose. [November 1994 related term added. October 1994 scope note added; lead-in terms added; alternate term added. July 1994 related term added. January 1994 related term added.]
- political caricature
- Shakespeare (William) - LC n 78095332: Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616
- theater (discipline) - Use for the professionally oriented study of theater, involving training, practice, and study in the processes of doing theater. For the academically oriented study of theater, use "drama." [August 1995 descriptor changed, was "theater". April 1993 related term added.]
- witches - Those who practice witchcraft. [October 1994 descriptor added.]
- sheet Dimensions: 247 x 351 mm (9.7 x 13.8 in.)
Please see the DAC Open Access Images Policy and ReadMe PDF. This policy is similar to the concise No Known Copyright statement at RightsStatements.org.
To download an image, control-click or right-click on a link below, then select "Download," "Save Link," or a similar choice in your web browser.
DAC Open Access Image: JPEG, < 2 MB (Help)
DAC Open Access Image: TIFF, ~20-40 MB (Help)
Please use this image credit line:
Open Access Image from the Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University (photo: T. Rodriguez) .
James Gillray, British (English), (1757–1815) . Weird Sisters: Ministers of Darkness, Minions of the Moon, 1791. Etching and aquatint with hand coloring on wove paper. sheet : 247 x 351 mm (9.7 x 13.8 in.). DAC accession number 1962.51.3. Purchase funds, 1962. Open Access Image from the Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University (photo: T. Rodriguez) .
Your search criteria: Keyword is "GJAT".View current selection of records as: