Adriaen van Ostade
Photo Credit: photo: R. Lee
Bookmark (persistent url): https://dac-collection.wesleyan.edu/objects-1/info/10402
The Dance in the Barn17th century
205 x 318 mm (8.1 x 12.5 in.)
Adriaen van Ostade, Dutch, (1610–1685)
- barns - Agricultural buildings with large, usually sliding doors, prominent roofs, and predominantly open spaces on the interior, primarily used as storage buildings for hay, grains, and farm equipment and shelters for livestock; does not include those structures, often termed barns, used for the processing of food and other agricultural produce, such as hop barns and tobacco barns.
- dance - Performing art form realized in rhythmic movement, creating visual designs by a series of poses and tracing of patterns through space in the course of measured units of time. [November 1994 scope note added. February 1993 related term added.]
- dancers - Use for those who engage in the activity of dancing or who practice the art of dance, especially as a profession. [November 1994 scope note added. February 1993 related term added. November 1992 alternate term added.]
- genre - Use for pictorial representations, which may be in various media, that represent scenes or events from everyday life; usually used with another term such as "paintings" or "prints." [April 1991 descriptor moved.]
- music - The art concerned with the combining of vocal or instrumental sounds in measured time to communicate emotions, ideas, or states of mind, usually according to cultural standards of rhythm, melody, and, in most Western music, harmony. [January 1995 scope note added. December 1991 related term added; related term added.]
- plate Dimensions: 205 x 318 mm (8.1 x 12.5 in.)
Please see the DAC Open Access Images Policy and ReadMe PDF. This policy is similar to the concise No Known Copyright statement at RightsStatements.org.
To download an image, control-click or right-click on a link below, then select "Download," "Save Link," or a similar choice in your web browser.
DAC Open Access Image: JPEG, < 2 MB (Help)
DAC Open Access Image: TIFF, ~20-40 MB (Help)
Please use this image credit line:
Open Access Image from the Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University (photo: R. Lee) .
Adriaen van Ostade, Dutch, (1610–1685) . The Dance in the Barn, 17th century. Etching on laid paper. Eighth or ninth of nine states. plate : 205 x 318 mm (8.1 x 12.5 in.). Sheet : 274 x 390 mm (10.8 x 15.4 in.). DAC accession number 1941.D1.62. Gift of George W. Davison (BA Wesleyan 1892), 1941. Open Access Image from the Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University (photo: R. Lee) .
Your search criteria: Related to "Adriaen van Ostade".View current selection of records as: