Goya - The Art of Bullfighting (La Tauromaquia)
Photo Credit: photo: R. Lee
Bookmark (persistent url): https://dac-collection.wesleyan.edu/objects-1/info/6498
The Celebrated Picador, Fernando del Toro, Draws the Fierce Beast on with His Pique (El Célebre Fernando del Toro, Barilaguero, Obligando á la Fiera con Su Garrocha)1816
Francisco de Goya, Spanish, (1746–1828)
- animals - This section can use more hierarchical (quasi-Linnaean) refinement in future; extant terms were assembled into a fairly flat and slightly redundant structure to expedite conversion.
- bullfighting - From TGM: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/tgm/item/tgm001419
- series (groups) - Use for related publications issued successively, especially those bearing a collective as well as an individual title; and, in the visual arts, for groups of works by a single artist having a specific and purposeful relation among the works. [March 1993 descriptor changed, was 'series'; alternate term added; descriptor moved. January 1991 scope note added.]
- sports - Use for games that involve a reasonable degree of individual skill and physical prowess. [June 1993 related term added. March 1993 scope note changed; related terms added; descriptor moved. February 1991 scope note added; alternate term added.]
- violence - The use of physical force so as to kill, injure, damage, or abuse. WCOL9 [February 1993 descriptor moved. May 1991 descriptor added.]
To download an image, control-click or right-click on a link below, then select "Download," "Save Link," or a similar choice in your web browser.
Please use this image credit line:
Open Access Image from the Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University (photo: R. Lee) .