Photo Credit: copy photo: J. Giammatteo
Bookmark (persistent url): https://dac-collection.wesleyan.edu/objects-1/info/9051
Dominoes, Wall Unit, Texas, 1967–691967-1969
279 x 356 mm (11 x 14 in.)
Danny Lyon, American, b. born 1942
Alternative title: Cell Block Table [title in book]
Object Type: photograph
Medium and Support: Gelatin silver print
Series: from Conversations with the Dead
Edition: From a portfolio of 15 photographs published by Hyperion Press, 1979; prints are numbered (1-30) in pencil, verso, lower left
Marks: Signed in pencil on verso, lower right: “Danny Lyon”
Bibliography: Danny Lyon, Conversations with the Dead: Photographs of Prison Life with the Letters and Drawings of Billy McCune #12205 (New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1971), reproduced on p. 71.
Credit Line: Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Martin H. Shore (parents of Martin H. Shore, Jr., BA Wesleyan 1982), 1983
Accession Number: 1983.26.18
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
African American history, convicts*, documentary photography*, imprisonment*, prisoners*, prisons*, Southwest*, Texas*, Western United States*
- African American history
- convicts - Use for those serving a prison sentence following conviction for a criminal offense. For those involuntarily confined in prison or kept in custody, use "prisoners." For those confined to an institutional facility voluntarily or involuntarily, use "inmates." [January 1993 alternate term added. February 1991 descriptor added.]
- documentary photography - Use for an approach to photography in which the subject is recorded with an emphasis on factual accuracy and with a high degree of objectivity by the photographer; often of a newsworthy event. May be intended to record, and ultimately influence, social conditions. ICPEP
- imprisonment - LCSH Link
- prisoners - Related Term
- prisons - Use for places of confinement and correction run by state or federal authorities for those adults convicted to sentences over one year for serious crimes; developed since the late 18th century and generally characterized by cell and corridor plans with separation by offense and sex, and programs of rehabilitation provided as means toward prisoner reform. Use "jails" for places for offenders sentenced either for lesser crimes or for terms up to one year.
- Southwest - TGN 4010660 (general region): Area to which term applies has changed with westward expansion of the USA; today usually refers to Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas; area is linked by arid climate & pastoral agricultural economy.
- Texas - TGN 7007826
- Western United States - TGN 4011500 (general region): Typically refers to states West of the Rocky Mountains (New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, California) and Texas. The term may also sometimes include the states above Texas (North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma).
- sheet Dimensions: 279 x 356 mm (11 x 14 in.)
DAC Downloadable Open Access Image
No open access image available