No image available.
Bookmark (persistent url): https://dac-collection.wesleyan.edu/objects-1/info/11492
Chimneypiece: Architrave Decorated with a Greek Key Motif and a Circular Fireback with Figures of the Zodiac18th century
240 x 380 mm (9.4 x 15 in.)
Giovanni Battista Piranesi, Italian, (1720–1778)
Object Type: print
Medium and Support: Etching
Series: from Diverse Maniere d’Adornare i Cammini ed ogni Altra Parte Degli Edifizi Desunte Dall’Architettura Egizia, Etrusca, Greca (Cammino che si vede nel Palazzo di Sua Ecc’za Milord Conte D’Exeter a Burghley in Inghilterra.)
Marks: Signed in plate, lower left
Bibliography: Focillon 905; Petrucci (1953) 899a; Wilton-Ely 855.
Credit Line: Gift of George W. Davison (BA Wesleyan 1892)
Accession Number: Retrospective TBD
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- architecture - Art or science of designing and building structures, especially habitable structures, in accordance with principles determined by aesthetic and practical or material considerations. Refers also to the structures created. [November 1994 related term added. October 1990 alternate term added.]
- astrology - The study that assumes and attempts to interpret and foretell the influence of the stars, moon, and planets upon human affairs. [June 1994 scope note added. February 1993 related term added. February 1991 alternate term added.]
- ornament - Decorative forms that are an integral part of a building or object but are not essential to its structure. Regarding techniques of embellishment in general, use "decoration (process)." [November 1990 descriptor moved.]
- zodiac symbols - Use for those images of animals and objects that symbolize the twelve signs of the zodiac.
- plate Dimensions: 240 x 380 mm (9.4 x 15 in.)
DAC Downloadable Open Access Image
No open access image available