No image available.
Bookmark (persistent url): https://dac-collection.wesleyan.edu/objects-1/info/11466
Two Chimneypieces: Upper—Frieze with a Chariot Race on the Lintel. Lower—Two Birds Drinking from a Vase on the Lintel18th century
370 x 240 mm (14.6 x 9.4 in.)
Giovanni Battista Piranesi, Italian, (1720–1778)
- architecture - Art or science of designing and building structures, especially habitable structures, in accordance with principles determined by aesthetic and practical or material considerations. Refers also to the structures created. [November 1994 related term added. October 1990 alternate term added.]
- friezes (entablature components) - Middle horizontal members of a classical entablature, above the architrave and below the cornice; for horizontal decorated bands in general, found on architecture and furniture, use "friezes (ornamental bands)." [April 1993 related term added. March 1993 descriptor moved. June 1991 scope note changed.]
- lintels - Horizontal structural members that span an opening in a wall and that carry the superimposed weight of the wall. DAC [March 1993 descriptor moved. March 1991 lead-in term added.]
- ornament - Decorative forms that are an integral part of a building or object but are not essential to its structure. Regarding techniques of embellishment in general, use "decoration (process)." [November 1990 descriptor moved.]
- plate Dimensions: 370 x 240 mm (14.6 x 9.4 in.)
No open access image available
Giovanni Battista Piranesi, Italian, (1720–1778) . Two Chimneypieces: Upper—Frieze with a Chariot Race on the Lintel. Lower—Two Birds Drinking from a Vase on the Lintel, 18th century. From Diverse Maniere d’Adornare i Cammini ed ogni Altra Parte Degli Edifizi Desunte Dall’Architettura Egizia, Etrusca, Greca (Cammino che si vede nel Palazzo di Sua Ecc’za Milord Conte D’Exeter a Burghley in Inghilterra.). Etching. plate : 370 x 240 mm (14.6 x 9.4 in.). DAC accession number Retrospective TBD. Gift of George W. Davison (BA Wesleyan 1892).
Your search criteria: Keyword is "DHFE".View current selection of records as: