No image available.
Bookmark (persistent url): https://dac-collection.wesleyan.edu/objects-1/info/14408
Vernal Fall, 300 Feet, Yosemite, Californiaca. 1861-1867
196 x 125 mm (7.7 x 4.9 in.)
Carleton E. Watkins, American, (1829–1916)
Object Type: photograph
Medium and Support: Albumen print
Marks: Inscribed on mount: title. Watkins' New Boudoir Series, Yosemite and Pacific Coast 427 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, No. B, 39
Bibliography: Palmquist, Carleton E. Watkins; Lee D. Witkin and Barbara London, The Photograph Collector’s Guide (Boston, MA: New York Graphic Society, 1979).
Credit Line: Gift of Michael M. Senft, 1983
Accession Number: 1918.104.22.1686
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
California*, exploration, geology*, landscapes (representations)*, mountains, Sierra Nevada*, water, waterfalls*, Western United States*, Yosemite Valley*
- California - TGN 7007157
- geology - Science that deals with the physical history of the earth, the rocks of which it is composed, and the physical changes which it has undergone and is undergoing. RHDEL2 [June 1994 related term added. July 1993 descriptor moved. April 1993 related term added. December 1992 descriptor moved. February 1991 alternate term added.]
- landscapes (representations) - Use for creative works that depict outdoor scenes where the picture is dominated by the configuration, visual and aesthetic, of the land, bodies of water, and natural elements. When the ocean or other large body of water dominates the picture, use "seascapes." For images that are more documentary than creative, prefer "views" or "topographical views." For actual areas of land having certain notable characteristics, use "landscapes (environments)." [January 1993 scope note added; related term added. April 1991 descriptor moved; lead-in term added; descriptor changed, was "landscapes"; alternate term changed, was 'landscape'.]
- Sierra Nevada - TGN 7014506 is "Nevada, Sierra"; flipped here to avoid comma ambiguity in term display
- waterfalls - May be used for artificial waterfalls only if highly naturalistic in form and context; otherwise prefer "cascades" or "fountains." [February 1996 related term added. June 1993 scope note changed.]
- Western United States - TGN 4011500 (general region): Typically refers to states West of the Rocky Mountains (New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, California) and Texas. The term may also sometimes include the states above Texas (North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma).
- Yosemite Valley - TGN 7017628
- image Dimensions: 196 x 125 mm (7.7 x 4.9 in.)
DAC Downloadable Open Access Image
No open access image available