No image available.
Bookmark (persistent url): https://dac-collection.wesleyan.edu/objects-1/info/7520
Mammoth Hot Springs, Yellowstoneca. 1871
105 x 165 mm (4.1 x 6.5 in.)
Company of William Henry Jackson, American, (1843–1942)
Object Type: photograph
Medium and Support: Albumen print mounted on cabinet card
Edition: Possibly a later print from the negative
Marks: Inscribed on negative: “Mammoth Hot Springs, Yellowstone”; inscribed on verso of mount: “W. H. Jackson & Co., Photographers of Rocky Mountain Scenery, Denver, Colorado”
Bibliography: See Newhall and Edkins, William H. Jackson (Fort Worth, TX, 1974); Lee D. Witkin and Barbara London, The Photograph Collector’s Guide (Boston, MA: New York Graphic Society, 1979).
Credit Line: Gift of Michael M. Senft, 1983
Accession Number: 19220.127.116.115
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
geology*, landscapes (representations)*, mountains, parks (recreation areas)*, Rocky Mountains*, springs (bodies of water)*, Western United States*, Yellowstone National Park*
- geology - Science that deals with the physical history of the earth, the rocks of which it is composed, and the physical changes which it has undergone and is undergoing. RHDEL2 [June 1994 related term added. July 1993 descriptor moved. April 1993 related term added. December 1992 descriptor moved. February 1991 alternate term added.]
- landscapes (representations) - Use for creative works that depict outdoor scenes where the picture is dominated by the configuration, visual and aesthetic, of the land, bodies of water, and natural elements. When the ocean or other large body of water dominates the picture, use "seascapes." For images that are more documentary than creative, prefer "views" or "topographical views." For actual areas of land having certain notable characteristics, use "landscapes (environments)." [January 1993 scope note added; related term added. April 1991 descriptor moved; lead-in term added; descriptor changed, was "landscapes"; alternate term changed, was 'landscape'.]
- parks (recreation areas) - Use for permanently dedicated, public recreation areas generally characterized by their natural, historic, or landscape features; often administered by governmental agencies. [February 1995 descriptor changed, was "parks"; alternate term changed, was "park". October 1993 related term added. April 1993 descriptor moved.]
- Rocky Mountains - TGN 7014356
- springs (bodies of water) - Water issuing naturally from the rock or soil upon the land or into a body of surface water. STEIN [May 1994 related term added. May 1993 descriptor changed, was 'springs'; alternate term changed, was 'spring'.]
- Western United States - TGN 4011500 (general region): Typically refers to states West of the Rocky Mountains (New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, California) and Texas. The term may also sometimes include the states above Texas (North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma).
- Yellowstone National Park - TGN 7017631
- image Dimensions: 105 x 165 mm (4.1 x 6.5 in.)
DAC Downloadable Open Access Image
No open access image available