Photo Credit: copy photo: J. Giammatteo
Bookmark (persistent url): https://dac-collection.wesleyan.edu/objects-1/info/15998
Military Railroad Operations in Northern Virginia: Man Standing on Railroad Tracks Holding Twisted Railca. 1862-1863
150 x 204 mm (5.9 x 8 in.)
Andrew Joseph Russell, American, (1830–1902)
- Civil War era
- military engineering - Art and practice of designing and building military fortifications and other installations, and building and maintaining lines of military communication and transportation. It includes providing utilities such as water and power to combat armies, design and construction of facilities to transport armies and weapons, particularly heavy artillery, the use or neutralization of conventional explosives, development of topographical maps and engineering intelligence, and the development of equipment necessary to carry out these operations. [July 1993 descriptor moved. April 1993 related term added. October 1992 scope note added; lead-in term added.]
- Branch of history covering organized warfare and military institutions in general, as well as specific wars, personalities, engagements, units, weaponry, uniforms, and other military artifacts. [September 1995 related term deleted, was "
". February 1994 descriptor added.]
- Southern United States - TGN 4011499 (general region): In its broadest sense, it refers to states south of the Mason-Dixon Line and Ohio River, which was the boundary between opposing states in the Civil War. In this sense, it includes Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Texas. In more common modern usage, it excludes Maryland, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Texas.
- tracks - Use for the assembly of rails, ties, and fasteners over which rail vehicles travel. [September 1993 descriptor added.]
- Virginia - TGN 7007919
- war - From TGM: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/tgm/item/tgm011468
- image Dimensions: 150 x 204 mm (5.9 x 8 in.)
To download an image, control-click or right-click on a link below, then select "Download," "Save Link," or a similar choice in your web browser.
Please use this image credit line:
Open Access Image from the Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University (copy photo: J. Giammatteo) .
Your search criteria: Keyword is "FOX" and [Objects]Century is "19th century".View current selection of records as: