Photo Credit: photo: J. Giammatteo
Bookmark (persistent url): https://dac-collection.wesleyan.edu/objects-1/info/2057
U.S.S. Columbia under Construction at New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, N.J., 19421945
John Taylor Arms, American, (1887–1953)
Object Type: print
Medium and Support: Etching and drypoint on Arches paper
State: Second of two states
Print impression quality: Excellent
Series: from U.S. Navy Series
Marks: Signed in pencil, lower right: “John Taylor Arms 1945”; stamped at lower edge of sheet, center: Arms logo; inscribed in pencil and erased, lower right corner: “John Taylor Arms”; the number II inscribed as l.l. may indicate second state.
Marks: Watermark: Circle with leaves lower left
Provenance / Collectors' Marks: Mark of the artist, lower center
Bibliography: Fletcher 390 ii/ii; Karen F. Beall, American Prints in the Library of Congress (1970) 502; Arms 401 (New York Public Library; B.L. Bassham 46 (Madison: University of Wisconsin, 1975).
Credit Line: Campus Art Collection transfer, 1976
Accession Number: 1976.25.3
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
boats*, marine views*, military, New Jersey*, Northeastern United States*, ships*, war*, World War II, world wars*
- boats - Use for watercraft generally smaller and less seaworthy than ships and generally not designed to cross large open waters. [June 1995 related term added.]
- marine views - Use For Term
- New Jersey - TGN 7007565
- Northeastern United States - TGN 4011496 (general region): The term typically refers to New England and the northern Atlantic seaboard, including Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey.
- ships - Use for watercraft generally larger and more seaworthy than boats; usually propelled by sails or engines.
- war - From TGM: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/tgm/item/tgm011468
- World War II
- world wars - Wars that involve most of the leading political and military powers of the world or most of the earth's territory. [July 1993 descriptor added.]
DAC Downloadable Open Access Image
No open access image available