Photo Credit: photo: M. Johnston
Bookmark (persistent url): https://dac-collection.wesleyan.edu/objects-1/info/1766
Mercury Entering Herse’s Room after Changing Agraulos to Stoneca. 1590
173 x 255 mm (6.8 x 10 in.)
After Hendrick Goltzius, Dutch, (1558–1617)
- illustration - The art or process of providing illustrations. [March 1993 lead-in term added. May 1991 scope note added.]
- illustrations - Representations or diagrams that clarify, usually accompanying a text, sometimes part of an advertisement. For works that explore a subject or are preliminary to a separate, more finalized work, use "studies (visual works)." [August 1995 alternate term changed, was 'illustration'. March 1993 descriptor moved. June 1992 scope note changed; lead-in term added.]
- literature (writings)
- nudes - Representations of unclothed human figures. [February 1998 related term added, "nudity"; alternate descriptor changed, was "nude". September 1990 descriptor added.]
- rock - Naturally formed aggregate of one or more minerals. For processed or dressed rock use "stone." [January 1996 alternate term added. February 1992 descriptor moved. December 1991 scope note added.]
- plate Dimensions: 173 x 255 mm (6.8 x 10 in.)
Please see the DAC Open Access Images Policy and ReadMe PDF. This policy is similar to the concise No Known Copyright statement at RightsStatements.org.
To download an image, control-click or right-click on a link below, then select "Download," "Save Link," or a similar choice in your web browser.
DAC Open Access Image: JPEG, < 2 MB (Help)
DAC Open Access Image: TIFF, ~20-40 MB (Help)
Please use this image credit line:
Open Access Image from the Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University (photo: M. Johnston) .
Anonymous, Hendrick Goltzius, Dutch, (1558–1617) . Mercury Entering Herse’s Room after Changing Agraulos to Stone, ca. 1590. From Metamorphoses (illustrations for the work by Ovid). Engraving on laid paper. Undescribed first state. plate : 173 x 255 mm (6.8 x 10 in.). DAC accession number 1918.104.22.168. Purchase funds, 1968. Open Access Image from the Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University (photo: M. Johnston) .
Your search criteria: Keyword is "GXLS".View current selection of records as: