No image available.
Bookmark (persistent url): https://dac-collection.wesleyan.edu/objects-1/info/108
Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico1941
398 x 490 mm (15.7 x 19.3 in.)
Ansel Adams, American, (1902–1984)
Object Type: photograph
Medium and Support: Gelatin silver print
Edition: Printed 1973 by the artist for the donor’s brother, Russell G. D’Oench. Dated 1941 based on Ansel Adams and Mary Street Alinder, Ansel Adams: An Autobiography (Boston: Little Brown & Co., A New York Graphic Society Book, 1985), pp. 274–275.
Marks: Signed in pencil on mount, lower right: “Ansel Adams”; stamped on verso of mount board: artist’s name and address, “Rte. 1, Box 181, Carmel, California 93921”
Provenance / Collectors' Marks: Purchased by the donor’s brother from Witkin Gallery, New York in 1973
Bibliography: Ansel Adams and Mary Street Alinder, Ansel Adams: An Autobiography (Boston, MA: Little Brown & Co., A New York Graphic Society Book, 1985), pp. 274–275.
Credit Line: Gift of Woodbridge A. D’Oench, 1997
Accession Number: 1997.20.1
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
landscapes (representations)*, moon*, New Mexico*, night scenes, Southwest*, times of day, Western United States*
- landscapes (representations) - Use for creative works that depict outdoor scenes where the picture is dominated by the configuration, visual and aesthetic, of the land, bodies of water, and natural elements. When the ocean or other large body of water dominates the picture, use "seascapes." For images that are more documentary than creative, prefer "views" or "topographical views." For actual areas of land having certain notable characteristics, use "landscapes (environments)." [January 1993 scope note added; related term added. April 1991 descriptor moved; lead-in term added; descriptor changed, was "landscapes"; alternate term changed, was 'landscape'.]
- moon - From TGM: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/tgm/item/tgm006751
- New Mexico - TGN 7007566
- night scenes
- Southwest - TGN 4010660 (general region): Area to which term applies has changed with westward expansion of the USA; today usually refers to Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Texas; area is linked by arid climate & pastoral agricultural economy.
- times of day
- Western United States - TGN 4011500 (general region): Typically refers to states West of the Rocky Mountains (New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, California) and Texas. The term may also sometimes include the states above Texas (North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma).
Location Latitude: American, Longitude: D'Oench
- image Dimensions: 398 x 490 mm (15.7 x 19.3 in.)
DAC Downloadable Open Access Image
No open access image available