Photo Credit: photo: R. Lee
Bookmark (persistent url): https://dac-collection.wesleyan.edu/objects-1/info/10870
Magnificent Bridge with Loggias, and Arches Erected by a Roman Emperor… (Ponte magnifico con Logge, ed Archi eretto da un Imperatore Romano…)1743
260 x 359 mm (10.2 x 14.1 in.)
Giovanni Battista Piranesi, Italian, (1720–1778)
- arches - Structural elements, typically curved, spanning openings and transmitting vertical loads to either side of the opening; also, structural elements or freestanding structures that resemble arches or act structurally like arches. [March 1993 descriptor moved.]
- architecture - Art or science of designing and building structures, especially habitable structures, in accordance with principles determined by aesthetic and practical or material considerations. Refers also to the structures created. [November 1994 related term added. October 1990 alternate term added.]
- bridges (built works) - Structures spanning and providing passage over waterways, topographic depressions, transportation routes, or similar circulation barriers. [September 1994 scope note added; related term added. March 1993 descriptor changed, was 'bridges'; alternate term changed, was 'bridge'.]
- Italy - TGN 1000080
- Rome - TGN 7000874 (standard English name used here for this well-known city)
- plate Dimensions: 260 x 359 mm (10.2 x 14.1 in.)
Please see the DAC Open Access Images Policy and ReadMe PDF. This policy is similar to the concise No Known Copyright statement at RightsStatements.org.
To download an image, control-click or right-click on a link below, then select "Download," "Save Link," or a similar choice in your web browser.
DAC Open Access Image: JPEG, < 2 MB (Help)
DAC Open Access Image: TIFF, ~20-40 MB (Help)
Please use this image credit line:
Open Access Image from the Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University (photo: R. Lee) .
Giovanni Battista Piranesi, Italian, (1720–1778) . Magnificent Bridge with Loggias, and Arches Erected by a Roman Emperor… (Ponte magnifico con Logge, ed Archi eretto da un Imperatore Romano…), 1743. From Part One of Architecture and Perspectives… (Prima Parte di Architettura e Prospettive inventate ed incise da Giambattista Piranesi Architteto Veneziano fra gli Arcadi Salcindio Tiseio). Etching with title printed from a separate plate on laid paper. plate : 260 x 359 mm (10.2 x 14.1 in.). DAC accession number 1973.D1.38.20. Gift of George W. Davison (BA Wesleyan 1892), before 1953. Open Access Image from the Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University (photo: R. Lee) .
Your search criteria: Keyword is "GYFQ" and [Objects]Century is "18th century".View current selection of records as: