Photo Credit: copy photo: J. Giammatteo
Bookmark (persistent url): https://dac-collection.wesleyan.edu/objects-1/info/2636
Franklin Street, Boston, After the Great Fire1872
305 x 418 mm (12 x 16.5 in.)
James Wallace Black, American, (1825–1896)
- architecture - Art or science of designing and building structures, especially habitable structures, in accordance with principles determined by aesthetic and practical or material considerations. Refers also to the structures created. [November 1994 related term added. October 1990 alternate term added.]
- Boston - TGN 7013445
- disasters - Sudden calamitous events producing great material damage, loss, or distress. W [July 1990 descriptor added.]
- fire - From TGM: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/tgm/item/tgm003993
- fires - Use for events where something is totally or partially consumed by fire, whether intentionally or by accident. For the process of altering, injuring, or consuming something by fire or heat, use "burning." [January 1993 scope note added; related term added; descriptor moved. November 1992 lead-in term added. May 1991 alternate term added.]
- Massachusetts - TGN 7007517
- New England - TGN 7014203 (general region): Refers to several states settled by English colonists, including Connecticut, Maine, Massaschusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont. The coastline has many harbors. It is on a broad continental shelf, with forested hills inland. It was inhabited by the 9th mill. BCE; the Algonquians were here when the Europeans settled in early 17th century.
- Northeastern United States - TGN 4011496 (general region): The term typically refers to New England and the northern Atlantic seaboard, including Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey.
- image Dimensions: 305 x 418 mm (12 x 16.5 in.)
To download an image, control-click or right-click on a link below, then select "Download," "Save Link," or a similar choice in your web browser.
Please use this image credit line:
Open Access Image from the Davison Art Center, Wesleyan University (copy photo: J. Giammatteo) .
Your search criteria: Keyword is "GYLD" and [Objects]Display Artist is "James Wallace Black".View current selection of records as: